Prevention, and Policy. 2012; 7: 27.
7. Chatzopoulos G. Smoking, Smokeless Tobacco, and
Alcohol Consumption as Contributing Factors to
Periodontal Disease. Northwest Dentistry. 2016; 95( 1): 37-
8. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. PTSD and Problems
with Alcohol Use 2015. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/
problems/ ptsd-alcohol-use.asp. Updated August 13,
2015. Accessed September 26, 2016.
9. The American Cancer Society. Alcohol Use and Cancer.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/diet-physical-activity/ alcohol-use-and-cancer.html. Revised
April 7, 2017. Accessed June 16, 2017.
10. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
Alcohol Use Disorder. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/
alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-use-disorders. Accessed June 20, 2017.
11. Darby M, Walsh M. Dental Hygiene: Theory and
Practice. 4th ed. Elsevier/Saunders; 2015.
12. Farr O, Ko B, Joung K, et al. Posttraumatic Stress
Disorder, Alone or Additively with Early Life Adversity is
Associated with Obesity and Cardiometabolic Risk. Nutr
Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2015; 25( 5) 479-488.
13. Arthritis Foundation. Food Ingredients and Inflammation.
inflammation-2.php. Accessed October 3, 2016.
14. Dursun E, Akalin F, Genc T, Cinar N, Erel O, Yildiz B.
Oxidative Stress and Periodontal Disease in Obesity.
Medicine. 2016; 95( 12): e3126.
15. D'Aiuto F, Nibali L, Parkar M, Patel K, Suvan J, Donos
N. Oxidative Stress, Systemic Inflammation, and Severe
Periodontitis. J Dent Res. 2010; 89( 11):1241-1246.
16. Murali R, Rangarajan P, Mounissamy A. Bruxism:
Conceptual Discussion and Review. Journal of Pharmacy
& Bioallied Sciences. 2015; 7: S265-S270.
17. Gehrig J, Willmann D. Foundations of Periodontics for the
Dental Hygienist. 4th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2016.
18. Esmaillzadeh A, Kimiagar M, Mehrabi Y, Azadbakht L,
Hu F, Willett W. Fruit and vegetable intakes, C-reactive
protein, and the metabolic syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr.
Brittany Getz is a 2017 dental hygiene
graduate from the University of Southern
Indiana. She is looking forward to providing
quality care in Colorado upon completion of
Rey Gabriel Carandang is a 2014 graduate
of the University of Evansville for Exercise
and Sports Sciences, and a 2017 graduate of
the University of Southern Indiana, majoring in Dental Hygiene. He is looking forward
to providing quality care upon completion of
Samantha Harpenau is a recent graduate
from the University of Southern Indiana
majoring in dental hygiene. She plans to
provide clinical care upon completion of
Emily R. Holt, RDH, MHA, CDA,
EFDA is a Clinical Associate Professor
of Dental Hygiene at the University of
Southern Indiana. She also provides clinical
care in Indiana and is a consultant member
of the Commission on Dental Competency
The authors have no commercial ties with the sponsors or the
providers of the unrestricted educational grant for this course.